Monday, November 23, 2009

Textasrophy

so...i have noticed an increasingly disturbing trend.

on friday nite, i went out with some friends for a girl's night. i'm at howl at the moon, sipping my gin and tonic, when suddenly i noticed that all the people i was with were all on there phones. texting. now...i'm all for technological advances...but at what expense. there i was...i was ready to converse...socialize...but everyone around me felt it necessary to be texting someone, updating their facebook, checking e-mail. don't get me wrong. i'm not mad...but my hide is a little chapped.

another example

after a concert last thursday, a group of us went out for some tortillas and margaritas when i look up from my chips and salsa and see that two of our tablemates were at their phones busily thumbing their way through various messages/e-mails/texts.

i've noticed in some rehearsals that when the conductor is working with another section, people drag out their phones and begin checking things...texting things...you get the idea.

does anyone else find this disturbing? i want to shake these people and say "EXCUSE ME. YOU ARE IN A SOCIAL SITUATION. THIS MEANS THAT YOU SHOULD BE COMMUNICATING AND INTERACTING WITH THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU. PUT DOWN YOUR ELECTRONIC DEVICE."

that and something like: "HELLO. HELLO. I'M RIGHT HERE. YES. ME. I AM A REAL PERSON. YOUR E-MAIL CAN WAIT."

certainly i cannot be alone in feeling this way...right?

on a more important note: today was mamaw martin's wake. she looked really great. i am relieved that she is in heaven. lots of people, lots of beautiful flowers. the older i get the more thankful i am about people who send things, call, write, visit, etc. tomorrow is the funeral. i look forward to visiting more with "them martin's".

so dearest readers...i bid you good evening...but first...you know...

1. thank you Mamaw Martin for being a good example and for making the best scrambled eggs in the universe
2. applications are being accepted for my new "anti-text" task force.
3. do i have a legitimate compliant or is it just phone envy?


1 comment:

  1. I must agree, and indeed, apologize, as I do believe I was guilty that evening of sending a few texts myself (albeit, attempting to add to the number of howlers)~ but intent is no excuse!!! I have the same opinion on this matter as you do. In fact, I also think that it gives the impression that the offending person is looking for a better alternative to their present company. So 1) I apologize... 2) I agree... and 3) I would rather spend time conversing with you. There is NO better alternative!

    ReplyDelete